[Magdalen] Hog Island?

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 03:18:48 UTC 2014

My (ex) husband and I were in Portland the summer of 76, when we visited his
sister in Plymouth MA and drove up the coast into the Maritimes of Canada
and than back west across Canada, dropping into NY at the international
bridge by the 1,000 islands (we lived in Syracuse).  We arrived in Portland
in the early evening and the few motels were all filled. Somehow we found an
old, old hotel (brick 3-4 stories) which was probably, at that time, renting
by the week or month... it was pretty seedy and run down. (I think I looked
it up a year or so ago and it's been gentrified and part of a 'going'
downtown).  We got "the last" room which was on the top floor at the end of
the hall with a shared-shower-down-the-hall arrangement. The floor's fire
escape was outside our window : )....   and the Montreal Olympics was going
on.... we watched Nadia Comanche (sp?) perform her winning routine on a 12"
black&white Sony that was the room's TV.  After checking in we strolled
around the area (also somewhat seedy) and found a hole in the wall
restaurant where we had great seafood.  Fun memories.  (a few days later, on
the way home through Canada, we drove on the Queen's Highway though
Montreal, passing the Olympic stadium all lit up in the dark... kind of fun
too) and while in Quebec Province in a fairly remote area, we found
ourselves without Canadian currency and in need of gas (and this was before
credit cards were a dime a dozen, and we did not have one) and our $20.
American bill was 'held hostage' for a less than $10. tank of gas, by a
rather mean spirited gas station owner, late in the day, in the middle of
nowhere. In retrospect, it was probably worth it rather than risking running
out of gas...

Lynn who would love to 'do' New England and that part of Canada we're
suggesting to Roger, again one day.

Lynn

My email  is changing soon to: houstonKLR at gmail.com

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

Thomas Merton writes, “People may spend their whole lives climbing the
ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is
leaning against the wrong wall.”

"What you seek is seeking you." - Rumi