[Magdalen] Like I Was Puzzled.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 17:34:41 UTC 2014

The French are most opposed to adding new words and allowing popular usage
to become the norm, ISTM. I'm always amused at the "edicts" about language
coming from there. It happens anyway. Modern Hebrew, on the other hand, is
very alive, and I'm kept up on that by my friend Yitzhak, who frequently
relates to me some development brought about by this or that group of
immigrants or travelers (Israeli young people are the most itchy-footed
bunch of globe-trotters in the world....they'll go anywhere!).

I am fascinated by language and languages and was a linguistics major in
the dim past. I left that when I couldn't figure out how I would ever use
it in the real world. Now I see that probably the semantics end would have
been my niche and I could have specialized in translation issues...ah well.