[Magdalen] Music memories

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 18:57:03 UTC 2014

Yep, they both have carillons. At Cranbrook, the hymns of the service
could be heard from the carillon before the organ prelude. (One of my
prized memories from CCC is Choral Morning Prayer, especially the
congregational chanting of the Te Deum to the two settings by Crotch
(or Crotch and someone else...can't remember). This was back in Hymnal
1940 days, when CCC had Morning Prayer at one or the other of the 9:15
or 11:15 services. The early Eucharist down in the vaulted St.
Dunstan's Chapel was special as well. I took a licensed-lay-reader
class there as well, with the Rev. Cate Waynick, now Bishop of
Indianapolis. She loved my final paper giving a detailed plan for
Choral Morning Prayer for Labor Day. Unlikely to be played out in real
liturgical life, but I figured I'd be the only one choosing that
occasion. :)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA