[Magdalen] Music memories

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 19:03:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> Do these major locations roll along blissfully in the 21st century
> despite the plight of Detroit?  The City itself is only 1/3rd  the
> size it was during its glory days, and what remains is almost
> entirely black and dreadfully poor.  I honestly don't know how  the
> largely white suburbs have been doing.  Have they been growing
> and prospering all the while Detroit has been sinking into Lake
> Saint Clair?
>
> I wonder, for example, how Saint Paul's Cathedral in the City itself
> is doing?
>
> Having been to Detroit a number of times during its glory days,
> (my brother-in-law was an engineer for Ford), I can't imagine it
> now.

Forgot to answer this. I don't know about blissfully, but the suburbs
are definitely doing eons better than Detroit itself. Depends on the
suburb, of course. Some of the older industrial ones are not much
better off than the inner city. Kirk in the Hills and CCC, both in
blissful Bloomfield Hills, are doing better than ever with fairly new
pastor and rector, and Detroit Cathedral is doing quite well at least
musically under my friend Jeremy Tarrant.

Kirk in the Hills' organist and choirmaster is Glenn Miller of basso
profundo fame:

http://youtu.be/ZmxC34GmqHM

After I left the early-music group Vox of Ann Arbor, they recorded
some works requiring a basso profundo, and Glenn did the honours...a
clip:

http://youtu.be/-fplgC1ISos

--
Scott R. Knitter