[Magdalen] And so the year ends.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 23 23:56:49 UTC 2014

On 23/12/2014 21:58, M J [Mike] Logsdon wrote:
> For most of us at work, and in much of the County, anyway.  All "non-essential" offices and employees (horrible term to use these days, but it's what's used) close down, with pay, between Dec 24th and Jan 1st, inclusive, a "cheaper alternative" concession to such union demands as wage parity and more accumulated leave to meet family needs, etc.  But over the recent years, we've mostly grown used to it.  A forced vacation that hits the same time each year.  Makes for more ease for us to visit Mom (which we do 12/27-30, Donner Summit snow permitting), and as it coincides with the bulk of Everett's break, we have some days at our leisure to tool around the Peninsula and eat hearty without having to worry about work or school the next day.  In other words, I'm, we the employees, are thankful.

You don't think they do it for your benefit do you?  Obviously some
government functions need to function throughout the holiday period but
that does not apply to most office jobs.  It is more convenient (and
cheaper) for the powers that be to have you on paid leave (as part of
your annual entitlement) then than have to open the offices for a day or
two at a time when people are extremely unlikely to call anyway.  This
applies particularly in your department when the people who seek permits
are probably off.

> And even though Christmas isn't even here yet, I'll take this brief opportunity to thank you all, as always, for being here for me during some of my least sterling moments in recent life.  (And even the most recent chapter is far from over, I'm sure.)  So, once again, thanks to all, and a Happy Christmas.

That is what we are here for, to be acommunity to support and share with
each other.

Roger