[Magdalen] Palliative Care

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 06:33:01 UTC 2014

I recently had the privilege to work with a fairly young lady in end-stage
MND. We have very little by way of hospice or home care here but everyone
pulled together to get her home. Her husband adores and has often
depended on her but they had not discussed, between them, how they each
wanted this time to be. The focus was always either on 'right now' or
on 'death'. But there's a considerable space between those points and this
is where it became difficult.

People need good, detailed information at a very practical level, e.g. that
those whose bodies are fading don't really get hungry but they do need
(safe) hydration. And couples need a common understanding even if they
don't agree on every little thing.

If I were Marcy's friend I would not pray for her death, but for her dying
that it might be a holy and harmonious time, as free from pain as possible
and a journey to be shared. The veil is gossamer thin, may she see the
lights of Heaven guiding her home and know herself to be on holy ground all
the way. And may you both extract every last bit of juice from life in the
time that is left to you - I know you have been doing that and doing it
well.

Between the holding and the letting go, there is a moment, may it be
extraordinary for you and Marcy, Jim.

With love and sorrow and not a little awe

Sally D