[Magdalen] Music memories

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 18:37:07 UTC 2014

This is beautiful; I don't think I've ever heard a Faure piece I didn't like! And hi Requiem, along with the Brahms, are my two favorite requiems.

The piece I can hardly bear to listen to, because of its associations, is Rutter's Gaelic Blessing. When I was music director at a church in Charlottesville 32 years ago (!), we sang it at a baptism. The baby's mother had been in the choir until shortly before I came and left to have the baby.
Two months later we sang it at the mother's funeral; she had committed suicide, leaving three small children. The choir got through the service, but we never did the piece again. I brought it out about two years later, and we started to rehearse it and had to stop. No one could go on.
The associations music can have for us are incredibly powerful...