[Magdalen] Christmas

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Thu Dec 25 06:07:09 UTC 2014

This year is a very different Christmas than I'm used to, but wonderful,
nevertheless.  At 4:30 we had the Christmas Eve service at St. Peter's,
full of kids and families and the minor, beloved glitches that often come
with children performing.  I've never officiated at a service with 144
people before!  It was delightful to look out on a church full of smiling
faces.

Then I went to part of a Food Addicts' meeting, then off to dinner at a
friend's - a quiet time.  Then home to prepare for the 10:30 - I was
celebrant at my old home parish, Trinity, Buffalo.  I can't tell you what
that meant to me - perhaps that's when Christmas truly came.  It was such a
strange, wonderful feeling to be in that old, familiar, holy place, and be
the officiant, rather than one of the congregation.  And when I looked out,
most of the faces were unfamiliar - same place, different people, same
family, same love.  Just wonderful.  Before I was ordained I always went to
the late Xmas Eve service at Trinity, then walked home in the quiet of
midnight.  Tonight I drove, but the feeling was the same.

Tomorrow (later this morning, actually) I have a 10 am service back at St.
Peter's, then home to throw together a fruit salad, then off to brunch at
another friend's, then 12 Steps @ 7 service back at Trinity in the
evening.  Two very full, amazing, wonderful days.

On Friday I hope to get Georgia's listgiv in the mail, and hope it will be
delivered quickly in the after-Christmas mailing lull.

Merry, merry, holy Christmas to all my friends here!

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu