[Magdalen] Happy Christmas!

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Dec 26 18:32:56 UTC 2014

In a message dated 12/26/2014 12:02:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

As  for the big out-of-control tenor, he's one of those that would be good
if  someone would just rein him in! >>>>

On Christmas Eve I watched/listened to the "traditional" Christmas
section of "Messiah" featuring the USA Naval Academy musical forces
and four soloists.  Interestingly, this performance featured a
counter-tenor
instead of a contralto.

All was well done, but the tenor and the bass both approached their  parts
as though it was grand opera which I found a little unnerving.   The
soloists in oratorios traditionally seem to take a middle ground and  come
off as not quite operatic.  These guys went over the top in the  direction
of Verdi, not Handel.  There was also a lot of ornamentation on the  part
of all four soloists, actually more than I have ever experienced in  any
oratorio.  I haven't decided how I like that yet.

The choir was flawless.  I did notice that the audience appeared not  to
stand for the Hallelujah Chorus which I thought was de rigeur.  I know  the
origin of standing is trivial, but it seems like a nice, old custom to
stand.

David Strang.