[Magdalen] Religion Without God?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 17:01:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is something where the diocese should lead, IMO....and the national
> church ought to be behind it, gently or maybe not so gently mandating
> upgrades and supporting with cash as needed. But withTEC's record on
> evangelism, it's not surprising that we don't evangelize among our own.
> /snark

We've got a little ramp that can be put in place to bridge the last
gap for wheelchair users to get into the nave. But this still means
they need assistance to get doors open, and they have to enter via the
garden, have doors opened into the fellowship hall and then into the
sacristy and then the ramp put down and a door opened into the nave.
Anything upstairs is no-go, as there's no lift. We do have a coach
house behind the convent and rectory; it can be used for first-floor
classes and meetings, and I think there's a plan to make sure this is
accessible.

At my previous parish in East Cupcake, the church had five levels
(although not five storeys) and a high-quality, full-size lift was
installed and door-opening devices put in connected to big buttons
reachable from most wheelchairs. A man with cerebral palsy who lived
in an apartment next to the church was ecstatic to make his first
unassisted (but well watched by happy friends) trip from home all the
way to his accustomed place in the nave.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA