[Magdalen] Religion Without God?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 17:19:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some churches are just *so* afraid their precious building will be "marred"
> if they have to make accommodations for the handicapped. Others just go
> ahead and do it. Some of the smallest do the best. I recall a small and
> ancient historic ELCA church out in East Nowhere, TN, that had built an
> elevator into the bell tower so their elderly and less-than fully mobile
> could circumvent the many steps to the front entrance. Likewise, in some
> churches, the "handicapped" pew is in the back. In Oak Ridge, TN, the
> wheelchair pew is in the front row.

I could really imagine a demolition of the part of our parish house
that was added in the 1960s, in order to build one better designed and
accessible, and it could provide the lift for best handicapped access
to the nave.

I also wonder what will happen when the Order of St. Anne leaves the
convent (as will happen eventually if they don't increase their
numbers...current number is two). The convent and coach house would be
good possibilities for extensive retrofit and accessibility, to use
for classes and events, and outreach ministries. Another option would
be to demolish those and use their land and the parish garden to build
a well-designed parish center to handle all those needs. Would not be
uncontroversial.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA