[Magdalen] Religion Without God?

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Dec 29 23:09:07 UTC 2014

>I agree with your son. I have never considered myself disabled. I have a
>handicap but that doesn't mean I can't do everything anyone else can do!

Well, in at least two parishes, I've been told the light I use to view the BCP,
Hymnal, Propers etc. are "An unwelcome distraction." And they "helpfully" find
something they **think** might work which turns out to be a greatly enlarged
(and thus unreadable) copy of same -- nice and grey with little contrast.

You can’t explain that the limitations of field of vision combined with the need
for enough light because the pupil doesn’t open/close  is not the same thing as
needing a large print edition.

Then there was the time I arose from the Communion Rail and headed out the side
door and onto the "Burma Road" -- often a passageway littered with storage
items, extra/old hymnals/BCPs etc, and going from the well lit altar area to the
dark, barely or unlit passageway. And there was the parish where there was a
short stairway leading to a door to the street -- that I didn’t see in the dark
and stepped off and tumbled down and right out the door after crashing into the
bar that opened the door.

Despite a yell as I tumbled down, no one thought it necessary to come to my aid.
So that was a parish I never returned to, though I sent a stern letter to the
Rector about the dark passageway and the result. No reply.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie