[Magdalen] Church layouts, was Re: Religion Without God

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 04:48:56 UTC 2014

David Strang> Later, I was making what was then a yearly visit to Germany,
and
> purchased a large, carved-wooden almost life sized crucifix which
> the Dean had wanted for a "pulpit cross".  I think I've  mentioned
> the shocked Minneapolis Customs House personnel when I walked
> through the building carrying the cross over my shoulder.

Less than 2 years after the completion of the Chapel of All Saints at the
seminary at Sewanee, an alum donated a 70% life-sized crucifix, free
standing, which was placed behind the altar in front of the windows open to
the world...

This chapel was constructed out of oak, after the 'arts and craft' style of
architecture (the architect has several other variations of this theme,
including one chapel in the woods in Arkansas).

The crucifix seems very out of place and is kind of a slam together of two
extremely different types of spiritual and holy space.

http://theology.sewanee.edu/worship/spritual-directors

Lynn

My email  is changing soon to: houstonKLR at gmail.com

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com