[Magdalen] A Busy Day Plus

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 1 21:25:16 UTC 2014

That is true elsewhere than the US. In the UK if you are undertaking some form of self-directed education or training then you are "not available for work" and so could have benefits cut.  Recently I heard of someone volunteering short-term to help run an event which was not a registered charity (actually a beer festival) who was told she had to stop or risk losing her benefits.  What was that about encouraging the work ethic?

You are right also about the mobility of labour.  Some years ago a UK government minister said that when his father faced unemployment he moved to where the work was.  Now even if you are in rented social housing it can be almost impossible to transfer to a different area of the country and private landlords want to know you have a regular income before they will rent to you.

Roger