[Magdalen] homily:Bishop Shaw's funeral

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 17:46:25 UTC 2014

When I read the anecdote about his statement that he was wearing the pectoral cross because he was "monk of the month," I couldn't help thinking of another very different sort of bishop who was on the Board of Trustees at VTS. He was in the board room where everyone was gathering to vest before a service, and he suddenly slammed his fist down on the table and shouted, "Don't give me any of that crap about 'Once a deacon, always a deacon'!  I'm a bishop, Goddammit!!"  All I could think of, in the hushed silence that followed, was that I was glad he wasn't MY bishop!