[Magdalen] homily:Bishop Shaw's funeral

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 18:51:10 UTC 2014

Some bishops remind me of a former sheriff of Hamblen County, TN. One
evening the late ex and I and our daughter, who was then about 19, were
having dinner at a local restaurant when said sheriff sauntered in with his
party and sat down at a table next to us. The sheriff took off his jacket,
on which was embroidered "Sheriff Otto Purkey", to reveal a shirt with the
same legend and also a belt on which was embossed the exact same thing.
Betsy surveyed the situation coolly, then leaned over and said sotto voce
to us, "I wonder if he has 'Sheriff Otto Purkey' embroidered on his
underwear!" Her dad nearly spit tea all over the table.