[Magdalen] Conservatives Chafe Under Francis

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:42:11 UTC 2014

No one said that, did they? Or did I miss something?

I'm not too sure - from this distance - whether either of these "bunches"
could be readily identified with an organisation or with individuals.
Perhaps it would help to be more specific.

I was one of the people inclined to ridicule Bush Junior (not so much
Reagan, I was too young and had little involvement with American culture at
that point). And I'm not inclined to ridicule Obama. Speaking for myself, I
ridicule what I take to be hypocrisy, political cowardice and general
witlessness which was how I experienced Bush junior. Not Reagan, not Bush
Senior, not Clinton and definitely not Obama.

I respect all of the above not because they were Presidents of the USA but
because they showed leadership, style (even if not especially a style I
like) and were honourable men. I do not believe Bush Junior to be such a
man.

Much the same issue came up for me as a South African when our former
President, Thabo Mbeki, was deposed by his party. I did not like Mbeki's
Presidency and held particular anger against him for his policies on HIV
and AIDS. But he was our President, I never thought him less than
honourable (even though profoundly, dangerously wrong)... and to see him
driven out of office was deeply upsetting. I would not feel the same way
about the present incumbent because he's done nothing but enrich himself
and his family since he came to power and is not an honourable man in my
opinion.

Perhaps these things play out differently at a distance.

Sally D