[Magdalen] Another day, another hotel

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 3 23:09:33 UTC 2014

After a couple of days not driving very far this was another 400 mile day, though not as long in time as getting from Chattanooga to Summerville 9 days ago.  I didn't have Atlanta to cope with but the I-95 through Jacksonville was Not Fun.  I doubt it would be a breeze any time but the road works and the sheer number of entrances and exits were daunting.  My GPS left me to it rather than saying which lane to be in and which way to turn. Fortunately I had stopped at the Welcome Center just after getting into Florida, and enjoyed a complimentary measure of orange juice.

The rest of the journey wasn't too bad, even the roadworks on I-4 when I got on that, until approaching Orlando.  Trying to weave my way into a left-hand exit lane in heavy traffic was not popular with the driver behind but I survived it and duly found the rather plush Rosen Hotel where I am on the 17th floor looking out over the Conference Center and the park surrounding it. Having parked the car there was a long walk past various conference rooms, and two convention registration desks, before I found myself in the main lobby and was able to check in.  There doesn't seem to be much sign of alternative eating venues in the area so I guess I will be staying in the hotel apart from when Bill and Nancy (from another list) come to spring me for lunch and an afternoon together.  Certainly I am not too keen on the idea of negotiating the roads round here again until Wednesday morning when I turn my head back towards Atlanta, which I am doing over two days.

Given the number of toll roads around here, and the fact that they are moving towards doing away with the cash toll option, I will probably ask at the hotel what my options are.  I have already established that if I try to use Pay by Plate they add a $2.50 admin charge that they will bill the rental company for, and I would expect them to pass that on to me.

Roger