[Magdalen] Conservatives Chafe Under Francis

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:49:17 UTC 2014

Fr. James Groppi was far more of an outlier. He finally became an
Episcopalian. Those of us who grew up in Wisconsin and were active in peace
and justice movements may have had the pleasure of meeting Fr. Groppi. I
did. One of the most sacramental moments I can remember was the night he
celebrated communion with a huge bunch of us the night before a huge
demonstration where there was sure to be head banging from the cops and
quite a few arrests. There was the distinct feeling of doing this in God's
name.