[Magdalen] 2015

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Nov 10 19:42:58 UTC 2014

From: Scott Knitter

>The TV programme Portlandia has made me want to see the town my West
>Coast friends say is so well portrayed even though it's a comedy. :)

>From the NYT Magazine September 16:

Portland has taken hold of the cultural imagination as, to borrow the tag line
from “Portlandia,” the place where young people go to retire. And for good
reason: The city has nearly all the perks that economists suggest lead to a high
quality of life — coastlines, mountains, mild winters and summers, restaurants,
cultural institutions and clean air. (Fortunately, college-educated people don’t
value sunshine as much as they used to.) Portland also has qualities that are
less tangible but still likely to attract young people these days, like a
politically open culture that supports gay rights and the legalization of
marijuana — in addition to the right of way for unicyclists or the ability to
marry in a 24/7 doughnut shop. “It’s really captured the zeitgeist of the age in
a way that no other small city in America ever has,” said Aaron Renn, an
urban-affairs analyst who writes the Urbanophile blog. According to professors
from Portland State University, the city has been able to attract and retain
young college-educated people at the second-highest rate in the nation.
(Louisville, Ky., is No. 1.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/magazine/will-portland-always-be-a-retirement-community-for-the-young.html

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie