[Magdalen] 2015

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Nov 10 20:48:35 UTC 2014

In a message dated 11/10/2014 2:52:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

Portland has taken hold of the cultural imagination as, to  borrow the tag
line
from “Portlandia,” the place where young people go to  retire.>>>

My ex mother-in-law and her identical twin sister retired in Portland,  OR.

The twins always assumed they'd retire together, especially since both
their
respective husbands died/were divorced.  Portland was the choice of  the
dominant twin, Helen, and Isabel, my mother-in-law, naturally went  along
with these plans.

The two of them had always been poles apart in churchmanship, Helen
being low church and Isabel being high church.  Thus they  attended
different Episcopal parishes upon retirement - Helen the present  Cathedral,
and Isabel St. Mark's (now a break-away parish).

The twins were positively obsessed with Mount Hood, and I'll never  forget
their little driving tours with "And that's where you would get a good view
 of
Mount Hood if it weren't raining".

They were Portland civic boosters to be sure.