[Magdalen] weather/temps...

Lynn Ronkainen ichthys89 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 17:12:51 UTC 2014

I'm not sure it froze last night, I forgot to check the birdbath for ice, my
default alert!  Anyway, all my annuals were sheeted... it will probably warm
again and they may live for a few more months. We went for 12 years straight
here w/out a hard freeze... until 2009 when it  happened in early October,
which was very unusual and included snow flurries!... some annuals were many
feet off the ground, most died in the freeze but the hardier ones came back,
having had such a long time to build a root system, and without as much
protracted cold here in the winter, the ground, deep down, is warm enough to
keep the roots alive.

It's a bit chilly inside though as I'm being very conservative about energy
savings... With our famous unregulated energy here in the big TX, we have
what seems like zillions of companies competing for our business, but they
all have loopholes and one has to enter into 1 or 2 year contracts to hold
prices per KWH from month to month.  I just changed again this month, having
had a month-to-month for the last 8 months which about killed me during our
very hot summer.  Winter is usually the time to save on heating here based
on my 27 year tenure in Houston, but the last 5 years have had enough very
cold stretches that usage for heat has increased dramatically.  Previously
the whole winter could go by with no use of the heat, and probable use of AC
some of the time. That weather-phase seems to have passed : (  I will wait
with bated breath for my first bill with the new contract....

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

Thomas Merton writes, "People may spend their whole lives climbing the
ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is
leaning against the wrong wall."

"What you seek is seeking you." - Rumi