[Magdalen] California drought

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Mon Nov 17 15:38:51 UTC 2014

No, the Salinas Valley is not an ag monoculture. However, as you said, most
of the lettuce (& spinach) grown in the US is grown in the Salinas Valley.
Growing all this in a relatively small area promotes the establishment and
spread of diseases - so you do have a monoculture in that sense. Currently
there are 31 races of downy mildew fungus (a serious disease of lettuce &
spinach), most of which originated in the Salinas Valley, because lettuce &
spinach production is so concentrated there. Much better and much more
healthy ecologically would be to disperse the production to other places. Of
course, the downside is that this would raise costs, and cost has always
been the most important factor in agriculture. Always trade-offs.

Chad Wohlers
who grows his own lettuce & spinach in
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com