[Magdalen] Oatmeal time

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 18 22:04:27 UTC 2014

On 18/11/2014 18:33, Marion Thompson wrote:
> I LOVE my solid top stove!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (No gas in Whitevale unless I
> went to propane)  I had the old electric burners for a million years
> and cooking was a trial.  Easy enough to move the porridge pot off the
> burner if it really matters.  Not sure why your stove would continue
> cooking for at least 10 minutes; that is not my experience.

I am surprised as well.  I thought those glass hobs cooked by induction
(which is why you need a dead flat base to your pans) and as soon as the
power goes off so does the induction effect.  Any residual cooking after
that comes from the heat of the pan, as it would on a gas stove.

Having been used to gas I now have in my new apartment an electric hob
with solid plates which take an age to heat up.  I thought I had given
those up when I was ordained and now I have to get used to the darn
things again as I don't do enough cooking to make it worth replacing
with a more responsive hob.

Roger