[Magdalen] 224th Convention of The Episcopal Church in SC

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 03:52:14 UTC 2014

I'm sure you're right.

I, however, am just talking religion.  And my point remains that we in
organizations such as the episcopal church have been accepting and
tolerant.  I think that's reasonable.

The putative Anglican Churches in several other countries has become
infected with toxic  fundamentalist ideas, and they apply their
fundamentalist views to Bible interpretation, and then call us heretics if
we don't immediately agree with stuff we have never agreed to to begin
with. (at least, not in my lifetime) We find ourselves facing non-starter
arguments we are used to getting from Baptist or non-denom types and other
know-nothing types, and it is awkward to face incredibly horrible theology,
poorly formed and abysmally badly understood, without saying something
like, "Excuse me, but your theology would not pass muster in first year
seminary in our church."

We in the Episcopal Church are willing to support another communion quite
actively, regardless of theological slant. We have in fact done just that.
Repeatedly. And I would not oppose it.  However, the problem is that the
other folks have no interest in tolerance. They see a difference, label it
sinful and all those other dreary words that I wish folks would excise from
their vocabulary, and they want us to do as they believe or they apparently
intend to do whatever they can to bring us down. They were nurtured in the
Anglican Tradition but it would seem that they do not understand the
central underpinnings of that tradition.

I can certainly understand the strong feeling that we need to realize that
these folks have been badly treated by a long line of Westerners over
centuries and we need to cut them some slack.  Oh I'm perfectly willing to
cut them all the slack in the world.  But they don't get to dictate how we
do church.  That would be analogous to banning all music in the Western
tradition because a lot of Blacks find it offensive.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford