[Magdalen] The cook is stumped

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 23:35:25 UTC 2014

We buy groceries weekly from an online outfit called Relay Foods, and I
totally love them! We make up an order each week over the weekend and pick
it up on Wednesdays when the truck arrives at a location on the east side
of town. They specialize in fresh, local, and organic foods, and we've
discovered some wonderful things, including curry ketchup, made by a
small-batch manufacturer in Charlottesville, and a really excellent brand
of milk from an organic producer in eastern PA.

One of my favorite things is the "local bounty share" box each week. We buy
a half share, since there are only the two of us. It includes whatever is
plentiful from local producers, and I have learned to be creative in my
meal planning in order to take advantage of it. You never know what is
going to be in the box! We've been getting a half gallon of cider each
week, and I'm going to have to start freezing it because it's gotten ahead
of me....as have the pie pumpkins, which are about to be baked and the
innards pureed and frozen. BUT....this week I am stumped, because the box
included FOUR enormous Japanese radishes! Every one of them is
potato-sized--two black, one green and white, and one is the familiar long
daikon. I have no idea what to do with them! Ideas? (And please remember
that S/O is sugar-free) Your assistance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.