[Magdalen] Stewardship video: Hello! Full Video -

Don Boyd thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 20 18:57:21 UTC 2014

Of course I'm in a parish that was founded so the lilywhite parishes
wouldn't have to deal with black Episcopalians who were beginning to arrive
in Austin) and that has over time come to understand itself as the "Black
EC" in town as "the church where anyone who has felt unwelcomed elsewhere
can find a welcome.  "Wherever you are in your journey of faith, you are
welcome at this table" is said at every Eucharist, and the practice of
radical hospitality is high on every agenda.  Thus I'm not put off by campy
tone of the video which implies an appeal to a particular group of people
who are welcome in many churches only if they are careful not to make
themselves noticed.

And I do understand that all advertisers (including churches) must carefully
consider exactly who they want to attract.  That said, the reaction to
Lynn's post suggests to me an attitude of "we certainly wouldn't want to
attract the kind of people who like this video!" and I think that's sad.  In
my view we'll never be able to love the world and serve the world as we're
called to do until we can get comfortable worshipping with people who are
quite different from ourselves--in politics, in education, in social class,
in ethnicity, in "churchmanship."

Just my $0.02 worth, beloveds.

Don in Austin