[Magdalen] Nature goes tee hee

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 19:48:11 UTC 2014

In a message dated 11/20/2014 12:55:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

I get  out as a form of exercise and blow leaves. It is a wonderful activity
to  make one feel you have accomplished something. Our leaves come down  in
stages, and it is simpler to blow them off periodically, rather  than
waiting for everything to be done, and have an immovable mass to deal  with.
So I have cleared my yard a couple of times  already.>>>>

The American Elm, once over-dominant and indispensable in landscaping  of
much of North American, but now completely gone secondary to the  advent
of Dutch Elm Disease imported from Europe, was a wonderful tree in so
very many ways.  In particular, the leaves turned a lovely yellow, and  fell
all at once.  They dried quickly, and were easily removed by raking or  by
blowers.  The species was easy to transplant, grew quickly, and  attained
very
large size and substantial age.  The spring color was a delicate  green.
They
did have copious seeds in June, usually, but they seldom needed much
cleanup.

Many of the landscaping trees used instead of elms these days have
the disadvantage of dropping leaves more gradually requiring multiple
cleanups, and their leaves (particularly the oaks) are tough and I think
more
difficult to dispose of.  I've had to remove leaves - Red Maple and  oak
primarily -
three times the past two weeks.

David Strang.