[Magdalen] Nature goes tee hee

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 02:27:50 UTC 2014

In a message dated 11/20/2014 4:50:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ichthys89 at comcast.net writes:

David  (and me, reading) were just reminiscing about Elms, thass all...

I had  two giant ones in the yard where I grew up.

It was curious when I went  to Amsterdam/The Netherlands in the 1990s,
there
were very large Elms all  over the place... I think Dr. David has discussed
this already too, but  I've forgot.

Lynn>>>>>

I don't have any foolproof answer to this observation.  There are  small
pockets of unaffected trees here and there in the previous ranges of
both the American and the European elms.  There have also been  some
hybridized elms that are supposed to be resistant to Dutch Elm  Disease.

I did observe that the British Isles, which had been spared the  earlier
destruction
seen on the continent of Europe, lost its elms in the 1970's about the  same
time as the disease was rampant in the Upper Midwest USA.

We see these man made epidemics one after another - Dutch Elm  Disease,
Chestnut Blight, Wooly adelgid (hemlocks), Emerald Ash Borer, White  Pine
Blister Rust - and wonder where it will all end.

David Strang.