[Magdalen] chomp

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 04:11:34 UTC 2014

In a message dated 11/22/2014 10:47:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

We  recently had a few more teeth taken out. Cats tend to get a rotting
which  destroys the teeth from below>>..
Dogs are almost universally prone to get bad teeth as they age.
The vets clean them, and pull a few as they get older, and sometimes
they're practically toothless by the time they pass.

One does need to keep an eye on the teeth, however, because the
chronic irritation of the gum can result in squamous cell carcinoma.

One of my Miniature Schnauzers who had an especially endearing
personality had this complication, and there was no easy answer
(though I suppose they might try radiation therapy had I dragged  the
dog up to Cornell at Ithaca).  Such treatment would have been in  the
many thousands of dollars.

I therefore put her down when the bleeding got to be a problem.   She
was only 6 years old, and the Schnauzers usually go to 15 years.   I
still grieve for her.

David Strang.