[Magdalen] chomp

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 04:14:49 UTC 2014

Davey, our late treasured marmalade cat, was toothless for several years.
He didn't seem to mind.

We were at the animal shelter to get cats, and we saw in one cage two of
the most beautiful marmalade kittens.  One was gregarious in the front of
the cage, the other was frightened, and hugged up against his brother. A
little boy came by and chose the one kitten. "You don't want that other
one. He's too shy," said the staff person.
The one kitten went off to his new home and the one left tried to squeeze
himself into the back corner of the cage, obviously terribly frightened.
We took him home with three others, and put each in a separate room in our
house so they could get used to the place. We let each out for a while to
get a feel for the place but without having to worry about each other. We
named the frightened little guy "David," in hopes that it would inspire his
courage.
He hid behind the toilet. Christine would sit on the floor in there,
talking quietly to him.  Eventually he came out, and in time became a
pretty regular member of the family, although he always was shy.  He loved
to be in Christine's lap, and since she loves to read more than anything,
the lap is often available. I think he lived a pretty long and happy life.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente