[Magdalen] Snowing now

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 27 20:33:36 UTC 2014

On 27/11/2014 19:15, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> We got a few inches yesterday of really dense snow.  I was amazed how hard
> it was to shovel.

I saw a report a week or so ago about the effect of shovelling snow,
particularly on those of us who have seen a number of winters.  The
explanation given was that there is a combination of factors, one being
that we are not used to significant exercise using upper body strength.
A shovel full of snow weighs a fair few pounds. The other is that the
cold restricts the blood flow near the extremities to concentrate on
keeping the essential organs supplied.  This puts extra pressure on the
cardio-vascular system which is why some suffer heart attacks while
shovelling snow.

Roger