[Magdalen] Snowing now

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Sat Nov 29 20:56:59 UTC 2014

Lake effect snow explanation:
Until the Great Lakes freeze over, they're warmer than the surrounding land.
Air passes over them, picks up moisture from the lake, and then, when it
rises over the higher and colder ground, the moisture condenses and is
released as snow. Because of the prevailing winds, it primarily affects
areas to the east & south of the lakes - e. g., Buffalo, Syracuse, etc.

We, like David, had snow flurries all day yesterday, but I wouldn't
attribute that to lake effect snow, as we're rather far from Lake Ontario,
and there are two mountain ranges in between. It just does that here much of
the winter.

In Massachusetts, we can also have "ocean effect" snow, but only during a
Nor'easter, as the wind would have to come from the east, which it doesn't
normally do.

Chad Wohlers
who lived in Buffalo and Syracuse as a kid, and so knows all about lake
effect snow,
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com