[Magdalen] GTS

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 1 12:37:20 PDT 2014

On 01/10/2014 18:30, Scott Knitter wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Jim Guthrie <jguthrie at pipeline.com> wrote:
>> Well, you've forgotten that MP and EP are available in many TEC parishes
>> within
>> a brisk walk of GTS.  I'd see GTS students at MP and EP at places like St
>> Mary
>> the Virgin, for example.
> But there's also the standard seminary ideal of having the students be
> a worshiping community while they're there. Granted, this is easier to
> form and sustain in a seminary like Nashotah House, out in the woods
> and lakes of rural Wisconsin, where it's more like a Benedictine
> monastery with few outside options. They take full advantage of that
> and explicitly use the term Benedictine to describe what they're
> aiming for.

Way beack when I was in seminary we were expected to meet together for
the daily office and eucharist, generally in chapel but once a week we
were in tutorial groups.  At one stage Thursday Evening Prayer was in
the place across the green - Salisbury Cathedral where all three were
available regularly.  I believe the practice of saying the office
together while in seminary is good, not least because it gives the
students the experience of leading corporate worship.

Roger