[Magdalen] cemetery plots...

Michael Bishop rev at michaelbishop.name
Fri Oct 3 08:17:42 PDT 2014

Every one of my 8 churches has a burial ground - most of them dating
back to medieval times.   In two of the parishes we have in recent times
extended the churchyards to allow more space. In neither case did that
cost us - in one case land was given to us by a churchwarden who is a
local landowner - in the other the local Civil Parish Council purchased
land to add to the churchyard and promised to pay all reasonable costs
of maintenance. We take a ptide in maintaining our churchyards . In most
cases they are maintained by volunteer labour. Of course as in any CofE
churchyard, grave spaces are not purchased. A charge is made for the
burial, but not for the ground which remains the property of the parish.
It is possible to apply to reserve a space, but that is rarely done in
my experience. I can only think of one case where that has been done in
my 43 years of ministry, in 36 of which I have been responsible for at
least 2 churchyards belonging to my churches. (As I said above, I am
present responsible for 8)

God bless

Michael Bishop
rev at michaelbishop.name

Rector of Boylestone, Church Broughton, Dalbury, Longford, Long Lane, Radbourne, Sutton-on-the-Hill & Trusley

Diocese of Derby, England