[Magdalen] cemetery plots...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Oct 4 13:10:29 PDT 2014

Sometimes cemeteries have chapels that are little jewels.

A cemetery in Eau Claire, Wisconsin through which I drove on
my way to and from the downtown area, had a lovely, small
neogothic chapel built of stone in the 1920's.  It's hard to get
any information about it, but the name is Ascension Chapel,
and the family providing the funds were Episcopalians.

The interior - open only occasionally - seats about 75, and the
altar is surrounded by "riddleposts" with the four archangels at
the corners.  It apparently was used for services at least on
USA Memorial Day for awhile after being built, and then quietly
forgotten.  The Chapel is used for winter storage for remains.

In the process of looking for the cemetery Chapel, I came across  this
historical reference to a chapel built by Christ Church Cathedral,
Eau Claire in the 1880's, and abandoned in the 1920's.  It is
amazing that this bit of history seems entirely unknown to the
Cathedral parish in Eau Claire:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings_
in_Eau_Claire_County,_Wisconsin#mediaviewer/File:Saint_Edward%27s_Chapel.jpg
_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings_in_Eau_Claire_County,_Wisconsin#mediaviewer/File:Saint_Edward's_Chapel.jpg
)

David Strang.