[Magdalen] Good things that happened this weekend

Lesley de Voil lesleymdv at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 18:31:52 PDT 2014

Oops, sorry, I was just about to comment to Susan that she is
obviously talking about the North American pawpaw, which is not the
papaw/papaya that we in sub-tropical Australia enjoy immensely. Papaw
here is the mainstay of summer fruit salad. It has few pests and
diseases, the main culprits being possums and fruitbats, both of whom
attack any fruit with the slightest tinge of yellow ripening in it. I
helped a friend harvest hers last Sunday week, before the possums
found them, and have made green papaw chutney for next week's Parish
Faire. I myself prefer chutney made with ripe fruit, so the last two
are, when they ripen, going to be made into tropical fruit mix chutney
,with the addition of two mangoes and a couple of nearly-forgotten
bananas.
We have had a dry winter, and look like having another dry and hot
summer. Not good for gardens, nor the gardener (who sometimes wishes
she could live in Viking-land, like her forebears.)

Regards

Lesley de Voil