[Magdalen] Magdalen] neat comparisons

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 14:31:54 UTC 2014

Mmmm...kind of. Thanks, Jim! I have trouble visualizing the idea of a star falling in upon itself, and the image I got is one of making cheese from yogurt. (Admittedly a loose analogy!)
You start out with a container of yogurt, put it in a strainer and put a weight on it to squeeze out the liquid. Eventually you end up with a lump of semisolid cheese. Of course, you've lost something in the liquid, so that's different--I gather the star doesn't 'lose' anything. But in a way the solids have fallen in on themselves...

At any rate, knowing that these aren't actually holes in the usual sense is very helpful--I did not know that.

So theoretically, at least, if there is a black hole at the center of the Milky Way, the entire galaxy could eventually be drawn into it?