[Magdalen] Magdalen] neat comparisons

James Oppenheimer oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 06:26:35 UTC 2014

Well, the way I understand it, the black hole itself is not observable, but
you can make hypotheses about if such a thing were there, how the nearby
stars not yet sucked in would behave.  And they have actually been able to
say that observations matched pretty well with expectations.  Stars at
quite a distance are whirling around the center of the galaxy at incredible
speeds, to the point where we can actually observe signs of those speeds.
However, this surrounding area is a very, very tiny part of our Milky Way.
We are not even supposed to fall into it in the distant future (billions of
years out).

It's really amazing. Each atom is composed mostly of space (over 99 per
cent), with tiny particles in more or less defined areas. The theory is
that as the mass of the star is so great, the atoms are actually forced in
on themselves. The result is material of immense mass.  A teaspoonful would
weigh more than the earth.

The more we learn about the Universe, the stranger it becomes.

James W. Oppenheimer
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente