[Magdalen] Pray for GTS today

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 18 15:43:25 UTC 2014

From: James Oppenheimer

>I have some experience with boards of trustees.  They tend not to be
>involved in the institutions they direct, and don't really want any
>"problems," that is, something that requires them to do their job in a
>pinch.  They also may very well have crafted their decision with the full
>intent of getting rid of Dunkle at a later time when it doesn't make them
>look quite so dumb (they were, after all, the suckers who hired that
>martinet to begin with, so if they fire him [now] they look like idiots)

That's why they hire management. Well-run boards do have committees that monitor
specific areas, and an executive committee that can get together on short notice
when needed.

Non profits, including many vestries aren’t always so good at this. Some really
large (money wise) Boards attract more engaged trustees, but the poorer ones
usually can’t attract people who know very much about anything.

Of course the big outfits can afford to pay trustees and board members well for
their services, and they almost always get what they pay for as a result. I don’t
know what GTS pays its trustees, but I can’t imaging it's very high.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie