[Magdalen] Pray for GTS today

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 18:24:34 UTC 2014

Accepting resignations:

It all started with an organist, a man with a histrionic streak as broad
as the Charles. Whenever he felt criticized, he'd Quit. Whenever he
didn't get his way, Ditto. The congregation would part like the Red Sea.
A particularly toxic Red Sea. This happened two or three times a year
(on average).

Then, one day (at last) the rector and vestry, instead of begging him
to reconsider, said (as one) "We accept." And they posted the job with
the AGO.

An important lesson in my formation as a church-going Cheistian.

Since then, I've seen this happen about a dozen times (not in church,
but in the land called academia). And it's been my experience that
all resignations should be respectfully accepted. Immediately.
-M