[Magdalen] Gonzalo Passes Newfoundland.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 15:22:32 UTC 2014

I see that this hurricane/(sub)tropical storm just grazed the far eastern
tip of Newfoundland,
Canada on the Avalon Peninsula which is where most of the population is
located in the
Capital City of Saint John's.  It's now going into Britain and then on  to
the continent.

A race with 350 runners continued on yesterday despite the winds.   Tough
people those
Newfoundlanders.

I've always wanted to visit this island which is where the Appalachian
Mountains finally wind
down, and which extends so far east that it is closer to London than a lot
of the rest of
Canada.  The island has its own time zone yet!

It's a shame that the Newfoundland railway extending east to west until
about 20 years ago
is gone.  I'll bet that was a gorgeous way to see the island.

And then there is Labrador.  I'm old enough to have been in the era  when
jet airplanes
would refuel in places like Goose Bay, Labrador, Bangor, Maine, and going
east,
at Shannon, Ireland.  This time of the year to fly in over the  Tamarack
forests
around Goose Bay was gorgeous.

I notice there has been some expression of interest locally in  Newfoundland
now that the local hockey team is playing St. John's "way up there in
Canada".

David Strang.