[Magdalen] Gonzalo Passes Newfoundland.

James Oppenheimer oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 15:43:24 UTC 2014

One thing about progress that has made a difference is the view from the
air.  I noticed recently when flying that we were so high that you couldn't
make out very much.  Back in the day, the planes were a bit slower, and you
could look out the windows and see a lot more.  I don't think you could see
kids waving to you, but we were a lot lower.  I remember flying in a DC-3
once when I missed my regular place and got an alternate on a plane that
flew from one little airport to the next, to the next.  Foliage would be
easily appreciated then, as would Christmas lighting.

We get there faster, safer, flying more smoothly, but the experience has
lost its charm.

James W. Oppenheimer
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente