[Magdalen] Texas voter ID law (for those interested)

Lynn Ronkainen ichthys89 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 22 03:14:11 UTC 2014

SCOTUS allowed this to go forward less than 2 weeks ago, just in time for
early voting which started yesterday... SIGH...

from the TX.gov website

Required Identification for Voting in Person

Don´t have a photo ID for voting? Election Identification Certificates are
available from DPS driver license offices during regular business hours.
Find mobile station locations here.
Frequently Asked Questions
In 2011, the Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 14 (SB 14) creating a new
requirement for voters to show photo identification when voting in person.
While pending review within the judicial system, the U.S. Supreme Court
issued its opinion in Shelby County v. Holder, which effectively ended all
pending litigation. As a result, voters are now required to present an
approved form of photo identification in order to vote in all Texas
Elections.

This requirement is effective immediately.

Here is a list of the acceptable forms of photo ID:
.Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
.Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
.Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
.Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS
.United States military identification card containing the person's
photograph
.United States citizenship certificate containing the person's photograph
.United States passport

With the exception of the U.S. citizenship certificate, the identification
must be current or have expired no more than 60 days before being presented
for voter qualification at the polling place.

Procedures for Voting

When a voter arrives at a polling location, the voter will be asked to
present one of the seven (7) acceptable forms of photo ID. Election
officials will now be required by State law to determine whether the voter's
name on the identification provided matches the name on the official list of
registered voters ("OLRV"). After a voter presents their ID, the election
worker will compare it to the OLRV. If the name on the ID matches the name
on the list of registered voters, the voter will follow the regular
procedures for voting.

If the name does not match exactly but is "substantially similar" to the
name on the OLRV, the voter will be permitted to vote as long as the voter
signs an affidavit stating that the voter is the same person on the list of
registered voters.

If a voter does not have proper identification, the voter will still be
permitted to vote provisionally. The voter will have (six) 6 days to present
proper identification to the county voter registrar, or the voter's ballot
will be rejected.

Exemption/Exceptions:

Voters with a disability may apply with the county voter registrar for a
permanent exemption. The application must contain written documentation from
either the U.S. Social Security Administration evidencing he or she has been
determined to have a disability, or from the U.S. Department of Veterans
Affairs evidencing a disability rating of at least 50 percent. In addition,
the applicant must state that he or she has no valid form of photo
identification. Those who obtain a disability exemption will be allowed to
vote by presenting a voter registration certificate reflecting the
exemption. Please contact your voter registrar for more details.

Voters who have a consistent religious objection to being photographed and
voters who do not have any valid form of photo identification as a result of
certain natural disasters as declared by the President of the United States
or the Texas Governor, may vote a provisional ballot, appear at the voter
registrar's office within six (6) calendar days after election day, and sign
an affidavit swearing to the religious objection or natural disaster, in
order for your ballot to be counted. Please contact your county voter
registrar for more details.

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck

Thomas Merton writes, "People may spend their whole lives climbing the
ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is
leaning against the wrong wall."

"What you seek is seeking you." - Rumi