[Magdalen] gas prices?

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Thu Oct 23 20:37:19 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Guthrie
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:21 PM
To: magdalen at herberthouse.org
Subject: Re: [Magdalen] gas prices?

From: Charles Wohlers

>Yes, and I'm sure that when you moved to Scranton you installed a woodstove

In case you didn’t know, Woodstoves are pretty efficient at pumping carbon
into
the atmosphere. Renewables per se do not address Global Warming.

Indeed they are, but the carbon in wood is not *fossil* fuel - carbon that's
been stored up for hundreds of millions of years. Burning wood is definitely
renewable and far better than heating with oil or gas. Since it's not fossil
fuel, the carbon generated when burning wood is recycled - used to grow more
trees. The difference is that, with wood, unlike oil and gas, you're not
putting more carbon into the environment - you're simply recycling it. Wood
is far, far better with respect to global warming than is coal, oil, or
natural gas. And that a simple fact.

It should also be noted that transportation isn't the largest contributor to
global warming - generating electricity is. Transportation contributes 28%
of fossil fuel emissions:
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/sources/transportation.html.

And, it is indeed true that younger folks are less likely to get driver's
licenses, or at least they delay getting them. Neither of my two sons (aged
28 & 25) have driver's licenses. Of course, it helps that they live in
cities (Boston & LA).

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com