[Magdalen] gas prices?

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Oct 23 21:47:37 UTC 2014

I did have to laugh at the nincompoopery on MSNBC the other night -- talking
about Kentucky Coal, with their "Expert" citing an ad for anthracite from the
1890s touting "clean burning coal" and using it as cudgel against dirty coal.

It should be noted that unlike bituminous coal (as in Kentucky) anthracite is
virtually smokeless -- and as a result, was considered "clean burning coal."

And to go further -- the anthracite industry not only advertised its "clean"
qualities, it lobbied hard throughout the Northeast and state bordering the
Great Lakes for municipalities to pass clean air/smoke nuisance laws to ban
bituminous, lignite, oil and wood burning.

In that sense, the anthracite industry was the granddaddy of the clean air
movement.

Let me hasten to add that anthracite is quite efficient at pumping carbon into
the atmosphere, but a hundred years ago, if you couldn’t see the smoke, it was
clean.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie