[Magdalen] Major athletic scandal

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 14:51:00 UTC 2014

Well, Kate, it's sad but true. There are better reports out there on the
UNC mess. I was looking for a link but can't find one right off the top of
my head. It is really sordid and has apparently been going on for as long
as 20 years.

Now, everyone knows, or should, that big-time athletes in schools with
big-time athletics programs get special treatment. That's pretty much a
given. They get special treatment all the way through school in some
systems. You could ask one of my friends, who was fired from her teaching
job in WV for refusing to change the grade of a *middle school* football
player, or I'm sure, teachers in Steubenville, OH, prior to the mess of a
couple of years ago, just for example. Every few years, something surfaces
out of a college program. I can't remember anything like this UNC business,
though....nothing as extensive or far reaching.