[Magdalen] wildlife and not-so-wildlife report

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 17:45:53 UTC 2014

In a message dated 10/24/2014 11:09:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

We are  also hearing owls calling one another back there at night, so
it appears to  be courtin' time for them>>>>

No hawk enclave here, but obviously lots of owls.  The resident  crows
are very upset, and spend their days harassing the owls, their mortal
enemy.  Their little battles in the sky are quite entertaining.

Owls regularly hunt through the crow rookeries at night.  I guess  they
like to "eat crow."

Otherwise, except for some Blue Jay squawks and the chirping of the
resident nuthatches and sparrows, Penn's Woods is quiet this time
of the year.  Even the ordinarily energetic Cardinals seem to be  resting
for a new season.  They'll get active again in February and March  of
the new year.

My 80' Dawn Redwood is a tower of deep orange, and the 40' Tamarack
(American Larch) is turning a golden yellow.  Ditto for my 80' Tulip  Tree
planted by moi in 1988 from a bare root pulled up literally from a  crack
in the Procathedral parking lot.  It measured about 12".

Autumnal musings.

David Strang.