[Magdalen] wildlife and not-so-wildlife report

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 16:12:16 UTC 2014

In a message dated 10/28/2014 11:24:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

80  today, they're saying!>>>
Autumnal musings:

70 F here in the Poconos.  However, the weekend looks like it  will
provide the first real frost of the season, with lows in the  mid-20's.

My 80' Dawn Redwoods which I hand planted in 1988 are virtual
towers of brilliant red-orange at the moment, and a companion
Tamarack (American Larch) is a sold gold.

European introductions seem always to be a bit tardy in getting  ready
for winter here in North America, and my 60' European Larch is
just beginning to show a bit of yellow.  The Norway Maple  cultivars
are reluctantly changing over to a brownish-gold.  The European
autumn is so much more extended and mild than here.

Of course the earlier Red Maples/Black Gums/hickories are now
bare and the dominant oaks (Red, White, Chestnut, Scarlet) are past
peak and leaves are piling up on the driveway.  My guy (provided  that
his leg permits) will need to blow them away again soon.  If they  get
wet they become dangerously slippery on the inclined driveway.

Grey Squirrels and chipmunks have been very busy here, too.  The
only birds I see (and hear) are jays, crows, sparrows, and
chickadees.

There has always been for me a sense of rest and relaxation about
autumn after the exuberance of the summer when the Poconos get
very jungle-like.  Witness the problems going on about 50 miles  away
with police and the Survivalist".

There is a beauty about the winter season when one can actually
see into the woods, and make out the terrain easily.

David Strang.