[Magdalen] wildlife and not-so-wildlife report

Don Boyd thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 24 22:28:14 UTC 2014

Our suburban neighborhood is host (well, not exactly; the deer were here
first) to a herd (maybe a dozen or so) of white tail deer, and they are
indeed fascinating to watch--fawns, young bucks testing their fighting
skills, several does and one older (and rarely seen in front yards near the
street) buck with an impressive rack.   I am told that deer rarely go more
than a mile away from their birthplaces, and although residential
development has constricted their range the deer herd has survived at its
present size for several years.  Their only natural predators hereabouts are
coyotes, but since household pets are easier prey for the coyotes than the
deer the main danger for deer (apparently not among the brightest of fauna)
is the automobile.

Home gardeners here know which plants deer will leave alone unless they're
starving (there's no such thing as an absolutely deer-proof plant) and which
plants one may as well not try to grow unless they wish to provide candy for
the deer.  Garden centers and the county agricultural extension office
provide lists of "deer-resistant" landscape plants.  (These tend to be
bitter-tasting, thorny, or hairy.)

Don in (droughty) Austin